1994-07-14 - Probabilistic Encryption

Header Data

From: solman@MIT.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 086820a5181b81e5087d8aa2c4618516c06e54b15ad7e9d40f15e54cf0a5dbb8
Message ID: <9407141221.AA06316@ua.MIT.EDU>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 05:22:19 PDT

Raw message

From: solman@MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 05:22:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Probabilistic Encryption

How secure do you guys think Probabilistic encryption using a BBS generator
is? It looks like its every bit as good for key exchanges as RSA and somewhat
better because of its speed.

Would I compromise the security of the algorithm if I modified it to take
the maximum number of random bits from each itteration of the BBS RNG
and made the corrosponding changes in the encryption algorithm this
making it faster?

How dangerous is it (looking at system wide security) to generate the
random bits ahead of time? Is it overkill to disable swaping from the
location the random bits are held in? (keeping in mind that disabling
swapping is a major pain since it is system specific).

Thanks,

JWS

Thread