1994-07-04 - Pass Phrases

Header Data

From: Joseph Block <jpb@gate.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 09f517afc6497f170fa13bbc52d1ebfe2e629473fcf0f307f1193357eb6a9607
Message ID: <199407040159.VAA67913@inca.gate.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 18:58:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Joseph Block <jpb@gate.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 18:58:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Pass Phrases

Re:

>Sorry, there is no way regular people are going to remember pass words
>or phrases with more than about 50-bits worth of information in
>them--and even doing that well is going to be rare.

I just pick a sentence and use either the first letter of each word or the
last.  If I pick a verse of a song that makes it easy to remember.

If you're willing to chance a little less security of the phrase, pick one
from a book or CD you have near your terminal - I have four or five hundred
paperbacks within 10 feet of my terminal.  It is very easy to remember "book x,
chapter 5 paragraphs 8 through 12."  If you feel paranoid, add 1 letter to each
of the letters derived from your special phrase or some similar modifying
function.

jpb@gate.net

Thread