1994-07-12 - Re: Gov’t eyes public-key infrastructure

Header Data

From: Mike Johnson second login <exabyte!gedora!mikej2@uunet.uu.net>
To: Phil Karn <gedora!uunet!qualcomm.com!karn@uunet.uu.net>
Message Hash: 0ba3232ad23a39dc158697cfad2b890efa8bd51be4aad5af32b753a682d29b15
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407121050.B10838-0100000@gedora>
Reply To: <199407120904.CAA04325@servo.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-12 17:11:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 10:11:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Johnson second login <exabyte!gedora!mikej2@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 10:11:27 PDT
To: Phil Karn <gedora!uunet!qualcomm.com!karn@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: Gov't eyes public-key infrastructure

> >The U.S. government intends to operate a public-key certification
> >system for government users that will also serve the private sector,
> >as well. But a report just completed by Mitre Corp. for the National
> >Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) puts the price tag at
> >$1 billion for the start-up of the government alone, with a possible
> >$2 billion annual operational cost for managing certificate-revocation
> >lists.
>
> All in all, I'd say this is a pretty good argument for PGP's web of trust
> model...

I agree.  The web of trust still allows for key certification by some
central authority -- but I get to choose which central authorities I wish
to believe (and pay for).

Thread