1994-07-09 - Re: All the free energy in the universe

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: doug@OpenMind.com (Doug Cutrell)
Message Hash: 0dc7d4a896765167eb855096d8fcd7ee6c7ab693d75157da6eba55a210aa281e
Message ID: <199407091548.KAA04389@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <13DD5626070@BlueSky.OpenMind.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-09 15:48:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 9 Jul 94 08:48:32 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 94 08:48:32 PDT
To: doug@OpenMind.com (Doug Cutrell)
Subject: Re: All the free energy in the universe

> The above analysis may be incorrect... there may be no limit to the amount
> of computation that can be done with a given finite amount of energy.
>
> The late Nobel laureate Richard Feynman became very interested in the
> subject of computation and physics towards the end of his life.  My
> understanding is that he concluded that there was no apparent limitation to
> the amount of computation that could be completed with a given amount of
> free energy.  Computation may indeed always dissipate energy, but Feyman's
> conclusion was that this dissipated energy can be made arbitrarily small --
> that there is no fundamental quantum limitation on the amount of
> computation that can be performed at any given mass-energy scale.  The kT
> per logical operation can always be reduced to finer and finer scales.
> Presumably, this would require advances to ever new technologies, based on
> new physical forces that are relevant at finer scales (down to computation
> based on the interactions of quarks as in QCD, gravitons, etc.)  Of course,
> since I can't give you references, you have to take this with a brick of
> salt... can anyone else comment on whether they have heard this about
> Feynman's conclusions?

Hi Doug,

If you will check in the cumulative index for SciAm you will find several
articles on this  topic (which include references to headier stuff).

Take care.

Thread