1994-07-28 - Just say NYET to censors

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: jyl@toss.Eng.Sun.COM
Message Hash: 279e8bc08f94ec9939e0db478d86bb40491227115ef960b65f272cae8d142d17
Message ID: <9407281645.AA24515@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <9407281503.AA24140@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-28 16:46:31 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 09:46:31 PDT

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 09:46:31 PDT
To: jyl@toss.Eng.Sun.COM
Subject: Just say NYET to censors

Jacob Levy writes:
 >  > And cable TV?  Nope, can't switch on that cable box without first
 >  > keying in your ID.
 >
 > Would you agree to: Nope, can't watch that XXX movie without first
 > keying in your ID?

No!  Who's going to keep track of all these ID's?  Who'se going to
get access to the database?  Who's to stop "them" from changing their
minds one day and making it such that I need to key in my ID to watch
broadcasts from political fringe groups?

Sorry.  I realize that in some sense things today on cable hover in
the balance; my interest in this group stems from a desire to see the
Great Global Net of the future be one based on the premise that
anonymity has great value.

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread