1994-07-04 - (None)

Header Data

From: Jeff Gostin <jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 285a021cec3aeebac32992f72ee677b8f32ff2260fbbff123f09b410c7673332
Message ID: <940704161337h9Gjgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 13:45:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Jeff Gostin <jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 13:45:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (None)

Joseph Block <jpb@gate.net> writes:

> 1701THQ1EBA7FLJ0SOM1THL1EDA7
> Without knowing the phrases, method, or number, what makes this insecure?
> I'm not deliberately trying to be dense, I'd like to know why I shouldn't use
> this sort of mnemonic method to remember the pass phrase.

     _Essentially_, you have a random string of text. Mind you, it's not
statistically, nor cryptographically, random, but it's something that no
PERSON would guess. If you are trying to get something to keep PEOPLE out,
you've picked a nice one. If, OTOH, you're trying to get something to keep
HACKERS/MACHINES out, you've got a somewhat time consuming one. Does that
answer your question? :-)

                                   --jeff

--
  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|

Thread