1994-07-04 - Re: Pass Phrases

Header Data

From: D.C. Williams <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
To: jpb@gate.net (Joseph Block)
Message Hash: 3019c974d396ba5cab08f0a7be4147c3ef937972d39b1cb64edc597ffb9e0b67
Message ID: <9407041521.AA02775@solstice>
Reply To: <199407041451.KAA56206@inca.gate.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-04 15:18:47 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 08:18:47 PDT

Raw message

From: D.C. Williams <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 08:18:47 PDT
To: jpb@gate.net (Joseph Block)
Subject: Re: Pass Phrases

> Say I use the following two key phrases
>
> The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog
> Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me
>
> I decide my method is going to be first letter of each word of the first
> phrase, last letter of each word of the second phrase
>
> I get
>
> THQEBAFLJSOMTHLEDA

Really? How about

  THQEBAFEJLOSTELHDE

> I'm not deliberately trying to be dense, I'd like to know why I shouldn't use
> this sort of mnemonic method to remember the pass phrase.

Maybe it's not really an effective mnemonic after all? Somebody's .sig file
says "one man's mnemonic is another man's crypto." Can you really type this
from memory using the key phrases without writing them down?

(Based on your first attempt, some would say "apparently not".)  ;-)

=D.C. Williams

> jpb@gate.net

Thread