1994-07-07 - (fwd) Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 405d76b50dc5ed5213a8401fb09484ae9837ed040002fd194f3aa081d1e19168
Message ID: <199407072020.PAA29387@ivy.bga.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 13:20:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 13:20:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (fwd) Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?

Newsgroups: sci.math,sci.stat.math
Subject: Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?
From: rbursey@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca (robert bursey)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 18:24:29 PDT

deleyd@netcom.com writes:

> I did a research paper on Computer Generated Random Number Sequences in
> 1991.  Included are the results of testing numerous popular generators.
> The code used for testing the generators is also available if one
> is so inclined to do some testing of a particular generator.  (The only
> thing is a thorough test to determine the limits of the generator can
> take many hours of CPU time).
>
> Perhaps later this week I'll post the paper and see what the response
> is.  I'm always a bit apprehensive to post.  Never sure what the
> response will be.  Maybe someone will think it's interesting.
>
> David Deley
> deleyd@netcom.com

Does anybody know of a good test for randomness? I would definitely like to
know how good computer RNG's are. Post away!

Thread