1994-07-15 - Re: Key length security (calculations!)

Header Data

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 42c33a0c444343ed638b9bd083d4590ada29508d2f9f7f2a7de056361443961b
Message ID: <9407150903.AA18447@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199407150843.EAA23914@umbc9.umbc.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-15 09:03:24 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 02:03:24 PDT

Raw message

From: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 02:03:24 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Key length security (calculations!)

James Donald writes:
> Timothy C. May writes
> > ... if P = NP, then fast factoring
> > methods may be found (fast = polynomial in length).
>
> In the highly unlikely event that P = NP then we have also solved, as
> an almost trivial special case, the problems of true artificial
> intelligence, artificial consciousness, and artificial perception,
> and the failure of one particular form of crypto will not be noticed
> in the midst of such radical changes.

  When was AI proved NP? AFAIK, definitions of intelligence
and consciousness aren't even generally agreed on. Consciousness
especially.  Any citations on this claim? The only place I've
heard this before was your claim on the Extropians list last year that
AI required solving NP problems (and that a good answer would not
work), therefore classical computers couldn't do it, but quantum
computers could, and therefore the mind is based on quantum mechanics
and AI won't work.

Thread