1994-07-03 - Re: Password Difficulties

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 4494d7267d7a2ad55eaba7653be69eb0d08b9b1d8b5735f3c77d831ef9c1330a
Message ID: <9407032047.AA24854@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.87.9407031129.A18252-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-03 20:47:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 13:47:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 13:47:57 PDT
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Password Difficulties

> There has been some discussion about typing long passphrases with echo
> off.  I don't have any trouble, but I'm a touch typist.  Perhaps it is
> only the hunt-and-peck, two-finger typists who are have a problem.

I'm not a touch typist (although I am also not quite a hunt-and-peck
typist, either).  And using only about 6 fingers (well, I am counting
both thumbs in this count, and sometimes I use my other fingers as
well) I have no problems typing in my long (40-50 char) pass phrase!

However, I am a computer geek (well, I prefer to be known as a nerd,
but I have Nerd Pride, so... ;-) Anyways, I have a feeling that
Steve's testing was done with non-computer-geek-type people.  I.e.,
secretaries, managers, and high-up muckety-mucks.  Is this true,
Steve?  What was your sample space in your research?

-derek

Thread