1994-07-22 - Re: “Key Escrow” — the very idea

Header Data

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Message Hash: 4ee47eef5063ecd9eef235ded741b30f0e584b7490cd47c39c115c51f4cffddd
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407220929.A3538-0100000@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Reply To: <9407221303.AA00981@tis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-22 16:46:56 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 09:46:56 PDT

Raw message

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 09:46:56 PDT
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Subject: Re: "Key Escrow" --- the very idea

On Fri, 22 Jul 1994, Carl Ellison wrote:

> if you really want to propose an escrow system we can live with,
> I would demand that it include:
>
> [four "features" deleted]

And just who is going to pay for this system? And why should they? And
why should anybody else use it when there're so many other alternatives?

Heck, for that matter, how are you going to get all users of Norton
Encrypt to escrow their DES keys? After all, they might have the disarm
codes for their homebuilt nuke encrypted with that.

Just say NO to key escrow.

b&

--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): We won! Clipper is dead!

Thread