1994-07-19 - Big Brother comes to Campus

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Hayden” <hayden@vorlon.mankato.msus.edu>
Message Hash: 5c3449b72ddf969bdc92305bfac93135eef64a055ae28c99a19dfb729719efe8
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407182024.A18901-0100000@vorlon.mankato.msus.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 18:28:51 PDT

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Hayden" <hayden@vorlon.mankato.msus.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 18:28:51 PDT
Subject: Big Brother comes to Campus

I wanted to forward this to everyone to show ya what the school is trying
to spring on us over the summer when nobody is around.

---------------------------

Acting for:  XXXXX XXXXX

 Mankato State's new ID card is fast becoming a reality.
 We are calling the new ID the MavCard and have begun
 taking pictures of the summer orientation students.

 Attached is a brief summary of the features of the
 MavCard we have given to parents and students who were
 here for orientation.

 Soon we will be taking pictures of other students,
 faculty and staff. I will inform you of the time and
 location.

 If you have any questions or concerns about Mankato
 State's MavCard, please let me know.

 Mankato State University MavCard

 As part of our mission to improve campus services,
 Mankato State University is introducing the new
 MavCard, a more efficient identification card (ID) that
 can also act like cash to pay for many on-campus
 services.

 The MavCard is more efficient because it will become
 the only ID card you need for access to university
 facilities, services and events including the Memorial
 Library, athletic and student activities.

 The MavCard will also eliminate the hassle of carrying
 cash. It can be used like cash for library charges,
 vending machine products, photocopying, laundry
 services and more!

 Mankato State University's goal is to provide one
 convenient card that does it all!

 It all begins with your new MavCard for the 1994-95
 academic year.

 Where to Get Your MavCard
 The Office of Business Affairs will start processing
 MavCards during Freshman Orientation, the first two
 weeks of Fall Quarter, and until the entire campus
 community has been issued new ID cards. Hours and
 convenient processing locations will be posted at the
 Office of Business Affairs, Administration Building.

 It's Quick and Easy
 Getting a MavCard is quick and easy. A new photo
 imaging process will use a video camera and computer to
 create and store all of your card information in
 seconds. Your picture, along with all other card
 information, will be directly transferred to one
 durable plastic card (the same size as a credit card).
 One process, one card does it all!

The First Phase
 Beginning Fall Quarter 1994, you will be able to use
 your MavCard in the Memorial Library, food and vending
 machines, laundry machines, photocopying services, the
 University Bookstore and Residence Hall meal plans.

 How the MavCard Works
 The MavCard will carry three primary information
 identifiers, along with your name and picture.

 The first identifier is your library and Residence Hall
 meal plan Barcode on the front of the card.

 The second identifier is a small black magnetic Cash
 Stripe on the back of the card. This Cash Stripe will
 retain information on the amount of funds you apply to
 the card through one of the many CASH-TO-CARD or
 $10, or $20 on your Cash Stripe, you will activate your
 the card through one of the many CASH-TO-CARD or
 ACCOUNT-TO-CARD machines on campus. By placing $1, $5,
 $10, or $20 on your Cash Stripe, you will activate your
 new MavCard. For safety purposes, there will be a $20
 limit on the funds that can be placed on the Cash
 Stripe at any time. Once your Cash Stripe is activated,
 you can use your MavCard like cash to pay for campus
 services such as photocopying, vending and laundry.

 The third identifier is a large magnetic Bank Stripe on
 the back of the card, similar to the bank stripe on a
 credit card. The Bank Stripe is like an electronic
 check! Once money is deposited to your MavCard account,
 the card can be used instead of a check to purchase
 goods and services. The amount of the purchase is
 deducted directly from your on-line bank account so
 there is no possibility of overdrawing your account.
 This Bank Stripe is also used to obtain cash from the
 automatic teller machines which will be available on
 campus. A Personal Identification Number (PIN) is used
 with this stripe so that your account is protected in
 the event the card is lost or stolen.  The Bank Stripe
 will save you time, reduce the need to carry cash, and
 help eliminate the hassle of writing checks.

 Calling Card Option
 The MavCard can be used as a personal long distance
 calling card. Information on this feature will be
 available from MCI during Welcome Week.

 Future Phases
 In the future the MavCard will expand to include
 building access, voting, campus food services and
 direct deposit of financial aid, refunds and student
 payroll.

 Questions & Answers

 Will I have to get a MavCard or can I just use my old
 ID?
 Your old ID will still be valid when classes start in
 the Fall of 1994 and until all students can get their
 new ID. The process to get your new MavCard is quick
 and easy.

What will the benefits of using the MavCard really be
 to non-campus residents?
 The MavCard will do much more than just consolidate
 your ID with meal plan information. Even if you do not
 those offered through the library, vending machines,
 your ID with meal plan information. Even if you do not
 use a meal plan on campus, other services including
 those offered through the library, vending machines,
 photocopiers, food services...will be easier to use
 than ever before.

 What if I lose my MavCard?
 Contact the Office of Business Affairs at XXX-XXXX.
 Since your information, including your photo, is stored
 in the computer, replacement cards can be processed
 immediately.

 Who do I contact with any questions about the MavCard?
 The Office of Business Affairs at XXX-XXXX, with any
 questions or suggestions on how to make the MavCard
 work... and save...for you!

Basically, they can now track you whenover you enter a building, get
financial aid, or even purchase a soda or make a photocopy.

I feel used.

--
____        Robert A. Hayden       <=> hayden@vorlon.mankato.msus.edu

Thread