1994-07-29 - Re: anon.penet.fi troubles

Header Data

From: sidney@taurus.apple.com (Sidney Markowitz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 656e2d22c7eb09381cb629726f7b779c3d01624584c0ea831b5e84c96219f315
Message ID: <9407291624.AA04391@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 09:24:52 PDT

Raw message

From: sidney@taurus.apple.com (Sidney Markowitz)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 09:24:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: anon.penet.fi troubles

Brian D Williams <talon57@well.sf.ca.us> wrote (in e-mail to this list, not
to Julf, by the way):

 >There has been a rash of discussion about unusual messages from
 >your server on cypherpunks recently, I received this one today;
 [...]

Checking the subscriber list, I see that an111447@anon.penet.fi is
subscribed to cypherpunks. It is near the end of the list returned by
Majordomo. Does that mean it was recently added?

This has happened before. If someone uses anonymized mail to subscribe to
this list, then all mail which anybody sends here is going to be sent to
the anonymized address. Anyone who has an id on anon.penet.fi who has not
set up a password and has sent mail to a mailing list such as this one that
has an anonymous subscriber has revealed their identity to that subscriber
if they included their sig in their message. Anyone who did not have an id
who sends a message to this list will end up being assigned one.

I thought that somebody did something the last time this happened to fix
the problem, at least regarding the cypherpunks list. Or was that just
before one of the mailing list crashes, so the problem went away by itself
until this person recently subscribed?

Does it seem to much of a coincidence that an111447 subscribed at the same
time that the alt.test tunafish spam appeared?

 -- sidney <sidney@apple.com>

Thread