1994-07-13 - Re: “True Names,” chat with Vinge, and Cypherpunks

Header Data

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6c49e2540cdbafbba3f6ddb5a040621657ebba84848f618bf69837de8cf367ca
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407130041.D4417-0100000@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <199407130221.TAA17224@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-13 05:40:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 22:40:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Al Billings <mimir@io.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 22:40:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: "True Names," chat with Vinge, and Cypherpunks

On Tue, 12 Jul 1994, Timothy C. May wrote:

> But the discussions on Sunday (some of stayed over, due to the long
> distances back to our homes, or as with Vernor, in lieu of a night in
> a hotel) touched on point of interest to our list.

[ ... some deleted ... ]

> Wormholes, reversible computation, the 7,000-Cray NSA computer, the
> problems with nanotech, the problems with AI, the Tines and the
> Powers, the Extropians group (Vernor was curious), the Singularity,
> and the implications of the OJ Simpson case were a few of the
> topics. (Yes, several of us had "wasted" our time watching this
> case. Me, I think it's drama of truly Shakespearean proportions, and
> should not be "dissed" just becuase it's getting more attention than
> the Rhwandans and Haitians are getting...not to mention the boring
> Bosnians.)

Did Vinge have anything of interest to the list to say that you could
pass on?

Wes thu hal,
Al Billings

Thread