1994-07-07 - (fwd) Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 79c42372c2667edcfc475f5fcdc79c5ea29c129411f55065cf2bb0c5c4be1177
Message ID: <199407072020.PAA29392@ivy.bga.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 13:21:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 13:21:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (fwd) Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?

Newsgroups: sci.math,sci.stat.math
From: carr@ssd.intel.com (George Carr)
Subject: Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)?
Sender: usenet@SSD.intel.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 17:28:08 GMT

In article <iFwLoc3w165w@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca>, rbursey@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca (robert bursey) writes:
|> deleyd@netcom.com writes:
|>
|> > I did a research paper on Computer Generated Random Number Sequences in
|> > 1991.  Included are the results of testing numerous popular generators.
|> > The code used for testing the generators is also available if one
|> > is so inclined to do some testing of a particular generator.  (The only
|> > thing is a thorough test to determine the limits of the generator can
|> > take many hours of CPU time).
|> >
|> > Perhaps later this week I'll post the paper and see what the response
|> > is.  I'm always a bit apprehensive to post.  Never sure what the
|> > response will be.  Maybe someone will think it's interesting.
|> >
|> > David Deley
|> > deleyd@netcom.com
|>
|> Does anybody know of a good test for randomness? I would definitely like to
|> know how good computer RNG's are. Post away!

The classic reference is Volume 2 of Donald Knuth's The Art of Computer
Programming, Second Edition, Seminumerical Algorithms. I highly recommend
it to anyone wanting to know what "random" is all about.

If you really need to know whether your generator is random-enough for
your application you should expect to do your own testing and yes it will
require many hours of your time in addition to that of your computer.
--
George R. Carr, Jr.
Intel Supercomputer Systems Division    Parallel Systems Engineer

Thread