1994-07-11 - Cross-posting problems

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7ad17c872667fa9919f1ee71c4b160dc843e9f30afafaaf72a012be261f1c53f
Message ID: <9407111234.AA27237@vail.tivoli.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Jul 94 05:34:54 PDT

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 94 05:34:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cross-posting problems

I don't know much about how the majordomo software works, so this
suggestion may be impossible.

A solution to the decision point Mr. Choate and others find themselves
in opposition over might be to add functionality to the list software
that would allow articles to be cross-posted in a more sophisticated
way.  The article could be routed to a special majordomo sub-address
which would file the article under some supplied title and then post
to the list a brief announcement that the article had been deposited
there.  There'd be another "ftp" server port for retrieving the
articles.

Clearly, some provisions would have to bee made for sweeping out the
repository, but with some discipline this seems like it might make
everybody happy: those who dislike the volume of the direct crossposts
would be able to skip by based on subject header alone.  Those who
appreciate the opportunity to read something they otherwise missed
would have a pretty easy time fetching the articles.

[ If this is already possible, or if it has been suggested and even
beaten into the ground, I apologize; I haven't had much caffeine yet
this morning :-]

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread