1994-07-02 - Re: Cypherpunks of the world unite!

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 7c4a2ffaf70cf1eda547c296be69b8fe4c8d125b38eea6f97eb44b68848921af
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9407021243.A27738-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <gate.5V1uoc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-02 19:31:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 12:31:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 94 12:31:25 PDT
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks of the world unite!

C'punks,

On Sat, 2 Jul 1994 Rishab wrote:

> . . .
> It is now fashionable to talk about the Asian way -- subjugating freedom to
> prosperity. This is of course bunkum, freedom is an ideal and is universal.
> . . .

Ever been to Singapore?  That is *exactly* the social contract into which
the Singaporeans have entered.  When I was there, I tried to give a copy
of PGP to the young man who sold and set up our computer equipment.  He
turned it down.  He told me he didn't need that kind of privacy for his
messages or files.  He couldn't understand why he would want encryption
that would keep the government from reading his data.  He seemed truly
mystified.  It gave me the willies.

 S a n d y

Thread