1994-07-27 - Re: LITTLE BROTHER INSIDE

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: Eric Hughes <hughes@ah.com>
Message Hash: 824a6901cda6ea0487c12fcf018e548027595030c12cce710f737ff7f331bd58
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9407270710.A25102-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <9407270142.AA06673@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-27 15:06:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 08:06:15 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 08:06:15 PDT
To: Eric Hughes <hughes@ah.com>
Subject: Re: LITTLE BROTHER INSIDE

C'punks,

On Tue, 26 Jul 1994, Eric Hughes wrote:

> . . .
> One solution to this is to give the passphrase (or other access
> information) to someone who won't give it back to you if you are under
> duress, investigation, court order, etc.  One would desire that this
> entity be in a jurisdiction other than where an investigation might
> happen.

And one way to do this that fits in with my original post is via a
pager-delivered instruction.  Prior to seizure/theft, you would make an
arrangement with an offshore "escrow agent."  After seizure you would
send your computer the instruction that says, "encrypt my disk with the
escrow agents public key."  After that, only the escrow agent could
decrypt your disk.  Of course, the escrow agent would only do that when
conditions you had stipulated were in effect.

 S a n d y

Thread