1994-07-28 - Re:

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Message Hash: 851d42e0c29ecadf80ba672b3120bd8da08cf99c48827dca8612e1777aeb49c4
Message ID: <9407282049.AA03288@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9407280306.AA18192@netmail2.microsoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-28 20:49:45 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 13:49:45 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 13:49:45 PDT
To: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re:

As I've noted, according to a reliable source, Microsoft is a vendor
of software for DMS, so although its not part of the products Merriman
is mentioning, there are key escrow features in some software being
delivered by Microsoft.

Perry

Blanc Weber says:
> From: David K. Merriman
>
> It has been brought up on the Cypherpunks mailing list that Microsoft is
> proposing to include public-key escrow as a *built-in* "function" of future
> products - Chicago and Daytona have been specifically mentioned.
>
> No, this is not correct.  It was speculation from Tim May on possible
> developments, based on his interpretation of recent events and on email
> which I sent to him.  This email was referring to the fact that his
> concerns notwithstanding,  it is not an easy thing to implement a
> privately-held key escrow system into a desktop operating system, that
> Microsoft is not talking about implementing a 'software Clipper', and
> is presently only *examining* the international ramifications of
> software key-escrow and non-escrowed strong encryption security.
>
> Please give it this question the benefit of the doubt and postpone your
> conclusions about this until I can get an official statement, thanks.
>
> Blanc

Thread