1994-07-19 - Reputation

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 88ed6afcf5e6be36eeb7e73cc1fd148c30fb86abf017ab3693b3d3d81495e270
Message ID: <m0qQJwf-000IBeC@crynwr.com>
Reply To: <199407191751.KAA23246@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-19 18:26:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 11:26:27 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 11:26:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Reputation

   From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
   Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 10:51:42 -0700 (PDT)

   > (flashing mathematical credentials)

   Who cares? I mean, really?

Because credentials are portable reputation.  A college is not a place
of higher learning, it's a reputation-granting institution.  A college
degree is no more valuable than the reputation it grants to you.  And,
once you establish your own reputation (as I have in my field), a
college degree becomes moot.  I wish colleges understood that.  I wish
students understood that.

This leads me to wonder how encryption helps make portable
reputations?  Can it even?

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/nelson.html
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

Thread