1994-07-23 - Re: GUT and P=NP

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray)
Message Hash: 93297f80fd5d387ea0efc0045a598d73961af28b772dfa59829eee0ef62a8aea
Message ID: <9407231321.AA00766@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <9407230956.AA28103@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-23 13:29:32 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 06:29:32 PDT

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 06:29:32 PDT
To: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray)
Subject: Re: GUT and P=NP

>    We are not talking about physical computers, we are talking about
> turing machines. If there is some *finite* deterministic process to
> get from the initial data to the final result, no matter how long it
> takes, it is an algorithm.

I don't see the need for determinism; it depends on the underlying
computational model.

>   I can't think of a single thing which is non-algorithmic
> except true randomness or non-determinism.

The "essence" of nondeterminism may not be algorithmic, but I don't
see why that's important.  If nondeterminism can be sufficiently
characterized that I can express an algorithmic process involving
it (and of course we can; that's how NP problems are expressed) then
my boat floats.

Thread