1994-07-18 - Re: pseudonyms and such

Header Data

From: joshua geller <joshua@cae.retix.com>
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu
Message Hash: b2434a8d616a1107573b7d2ad78ef8ba4ab05507e43c7a54bd446a90662e8d2e
Message ID: <199407181835.LAA03330@sleepy.retix.com>
Reply To: <199407181813.OAA19246@cs.oberlin.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-18 18:35:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 11:35:00 PDT

Raw message

From: joshua geller <joshua@cae.retix.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 11:35:00 PDT
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu
Subject: Re: pseudonyms and such

>   I think it's rather odd to find cypherpunks basically flaming someone
>   because they choose to use a pseudonym instead of their real name.
>   Or presuming guilt of being Detweiler because of the choice to use the
>   pseudonym.  Isn't the right to hide one's official on-your-passport
>   identity something that we all supposedly support?  Seems kind of contrary
>   to this goal to go making anyone who exercises this right feel unwelcome
>   on the list.

finger is generally enabled at netcom. interestingly, fingering nym@netcom
causes a segmentation fault. .plan a link to something wierd maybe?

>   I think it's awfully hypocritical to judge this pseudonomous person
>   harshly merely because of her pseudonimity, or because that
>   pseudonimity makes you suspect she's really detweiler.

well, she seems to be an idiot which is usually enough for me.

josh

Thread