1994-07-04 - Re: Pass Phrases

Header Data

From: Roger Bryner <bryner@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
To: “D.C. Williams” <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
Message Hash: b511c055e4a145d4938348d15ab4a08da938613add6f48c7f630b2115ceffca9
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407041010.A6205-0100000@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
Reply To: <9407041521.AA02775@solstice>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-04 16:59:43 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 09:59:43 PDT

Raw message

From: Roger Bryner <bryner@atlas.chem.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 09:59:43 PDT
To: "D.C. Williams" <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>
Subject: Re: Pass Phrases

On Mon, 4 Jul 1994, D.C. Williams wrote:
> > The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog
> > Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me
Lets say you pick these from a set of books.

All this does is give you a larger dictionary, with say 10^6 vs 10^3 entries.
It could be even longer if you use fragments of sentences.

This means you will need half the number of sentences you needed words for.

Some one might be clued in by the fact that your books show considerable
use at certain pages.

The mixing up stuff adds bits, but not that many, perhaps 10 if you
really do a good job.

so I would say you have 10^5(4 digit number) *(10^6)^2(two sentences)
*10^3(choosing the nth letter, or stagering) or about 10^20.

Seems ok to me, about 60 bits.

If I bust you and look at your books, though, you could be screwed.
This is not much of a concern in a reasonably free country, but....
Also, if you don't have your books, you can't get into your computer.

Roger.

Thread