1994-07-04 - No Subject

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: nobody@ds1.wu-wien.ac.at
Message Hash: c71676395b6a37d08405947cf17bc5ffd9ca7068d24ef1780f07241325c05dde
Message ID: <9407040442.AA16557@deathtongue.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <9407040349.AA14174@ds1.wu-wien.ac.at>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-04 04:42:57 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 21:42:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 21:42:57 PDT
To: nobody@ds1.wu-wien.ac.at
Subject: No Subject

> I seem to remember reading somewhere that using PGP to encrypt a message
> for multiple recipients (in the same output file) somehow made
> cryptanalysis easier, but I don't seem to recall the rationale behind that
> concern.  Can somebody comment on that.

This is incorrect.  There is a possible security problem with *pure*
RSA, but PGP does not use pure RSA.  When you encrypt to multiple
recipients in PGP (and you can verify this by reading the code), you
choose a random IDEA session key, and then you RSA-encrypt that key
(with random-data padding) in each public key, changing the random
padding with each encryption.

> Also, concerning the PGP 2.3a/2.6/2.6ui controversy, is the only "problem"
> with 2.6 the fact that after 9/1/94 it will start reporting an incompatible
> version number that will make its output unreadable by older versions?  If
> so, and if source code is available, why couldn't the date checking routine
> be located in the source code and simply commented out, then the whole
> thing recompiled?

No can do; this would validate the MIT license on the code.  The
change, about which you can obtain via anonymous ftp even if you are
not in the US, is that the data-packet version number will change from
'2' to '3' on september 1st, rendering older versions unable to read
the data after 1 September.

Hope this helps

-derek

         Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, G MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board (SIPB)
    Home page: http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/warlord/home_page.html
       warlord@MIT.EDU    PP-ASEL     N1NWH    PGP key available

Thread