1994-07-03 - Mysterious Deaths was: J.Bidzos life threatened

Header Data

From: Martin Spellman <mspellman@cix.compulink.co.uk>
To: mspellman@cix.compulink.co.uk
Message Hash: ce8e97471a97699962a4d48b45573f94ec836c45bb7a341290ca3568563ae9c4
Message ID: <memo.543792@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Raw Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 10:12:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Martin Spellman <mspellman@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 94 10:12:20 PDT
To: mspellman@cix.compulink.co.uk
Subject: Mysterious Deaths was: J.Bidzos life threatened

> gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal) wrote:

> Several years ago lots of British scientists died under
> mysterious  circumstances.  They were generally described as
> 'defence scientists'  but what a significant number of them had
> in common was work in  the area of surveillance.  Several of
> them were connected to UK's  system X.
 (One UK govt official was found dead in
> his hotel room in an arab country while there at a trade fair
> in  an unofficial capacity helping to promotye system X).

For those who want to follow this up a bit more there was a book
published in 1990:
'Open Verdict - An Account of 25 mysterious deaths in the defence
industry'by Tony Collins  ISBN 07474 0146 2
Publisher Sphere Books
Well worth reading if you can get hold of it.

Collins picked up this story when he was a journo with 'Computer News' in
England. He later became Executive Editor of Computer Weekly.
It all happened in the mid 80s and most of those involved were computer
programmers. 28 cases are dealt with in the book and there may have been
more (or less) as much of the evidence is circumstantial and all may not
have been connected.
Collins reckons it has more to do with Electronic Warfare(EW) or C3i than
digital exchange surveillance. Although System X was apparently a key
component of IUKADGE (Improved UK Air Defence Ground Environment) an
early warning system. The backbone for this was UNITER - a comms system
to link over 100 USAF and RAF bases around the world.
Many of the people worked for GEC Marconi and GEC Plessey (the main
System X contractor).
Jonathan Wash, fell from a hotel balcony in Abidjan, capital of the Ivory
Coast, West Africa, on 19 November 1985, shortly after expressing a fear
for his life. He was working for Telconsult, a subsidiary of BT (the
telecoms transnational which is also a major defence contractor). He was
helping the government there assess bids for a digital exchange contract.
Some of the others that died worked for GCHQ, the junior partner of the
NSA.Some of the deaths were very odd, to say the least! and some were not
fully investigated as murder was not suspected. It is an inviting field
for conspiracy theorists.
Hilda Murrell, whose death may be linked to our nuclear power industry
was also killed around this time (24 March 1984).
System X was delayed for a long time and one rumour was that they had
designed the basic exchange OK - the problems lay with doing all the
'other bits' that went into it.

Thread