1994-07-08 - Re: Counting Bits

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Message Hash: d1ada205a8687c2a5eeb28f71d5df1cfcad2812f46b44b26dcc5e1535b34d74e
Message ID: <9407081316.AA05465@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199407071547.QAA09077@an-teallach.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-08 13:16:28 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 8 Jul 94 06:16:28 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 94 06:16:28 PDT
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Subject: Re: Counting Bits

Graham Toal says:
> PS I dunno what superoptimisizer Perry is talking about but I've
> never heard of a real one that works.  You have to feed in a complete
> machine description at register transfer level and i don't know if
> those exist for real machines; also the problem is almost certainly
> exponential time for a *guaranteed* solution as Perry claims is
> possible.

As I've noted, Henry Massalin invented the superoptimizer -- and it
works -- a much slower but publically available implementation that
Henry had nothing to do with is available from the FSF as "Gnu
Superopt".

Perry

Thread