1994-07-21 - Re: Leaving the Country

Header Data

From: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: de7a9832ece8c859013ff2f8e1e664a15eb9dc463d63bee6cfe4affe8680dbb2
Message ID: <199407212033.AA09004@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 13:34:32 PDT

Raw message

From: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 13:34:32 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Leaving the Country

At 10:04 AM 7/21/94 -0400, Linn Stanton wrote:

>I agree of the inheritance tax question, but there is still a problem. The only
>stock markets that I know well enough to be comfortable investing in are in the
>US. That will not magically change just because I get citizenship somewhere
>else, and that still leaves me liable for US tracking and taxes.

US stocks are now traded overseas.  Non-residents of the US can execute
trades on US exchanges.  Learning to feel comfortable in different countries
and investing environments is very important for diversification even
without the independence it gives you.  Remember the one major advantage
that you have over the nation state -- you can move and it can't.

>I respect your efforts in this area, and don't want to give the impression that
>I do not take your advice seriously. However, it is too bleeding edge for
>someone with a family, IMHO.

I have a family too.  We shipped the kids out first (so they would learn to
read and write).  They are very transnational these days.

DCF

"I think I'll set up a Conformity Consulting Firm.  It will teach "diverse"
employees how to get along with white males in the workplace."

Thread