1994-07-12 - Re: Gov’t eyes public-key infrastructure

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e7e0898566a59407cd2042b2eab12636a3f10a88308bbb9a58fbd7b43cd4c233
Message ID: <199407120904.CAA04325@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <199407120422.VAA07596@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-12 09:03:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 02:03:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 02:03:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Gov't eyes public-key infrastructure

>The U.S. government intends to operate a public-key certification
>system for government users that will also serve the private sector,
>as well. But a report just completed by Mitre Corp. for the National
>Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) puts the price tag at
>$1 billion for the start-up of the government alone, with a possible
>$2 billion annual operational cost for managing certificate-revocation
>lists.

All in all, I'd say this is a pretty good argument for PGP's web of trust
model...

Phil

Thread