1994-07-07 - Re: Most People don’t Think about Security

Header Data

From: Paul Kathro <pak@chaser.co.uk>
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com
Message Hash: f11d4343f6ff71e2da9d608ee7dbfc99461dcb98ba5ad2bfb9ddcab80a5f4ffb
Message ID: <20381.9407071045@fire.chaser.co.uk>
Reply To: <199407061347.OAA03604@an-teallach.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-07 12:58:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 05:58:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Paul Kathro <pak@chaser.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 05:58:11 PDT
To: gtoal@an-teallach.com
Subject: Re: Most People don't Think about Security

According to Graham Toal:

> PS What UK *does* do that the US is abysmal at is checking the
> signatures on VISA cards et al.  I'm staggered by how lax US shopkeepers
> are about looking at the signature.  No wonder fraud is rampant.
> Over here they not only *always* without exception check the
> signature, they often query it online and occassionally *sniff*
> the cards to see if an old signature has been removed with lighter
> fluid...

Ah, but the UK is starting to catch up with the US even in this. Over the
last couple of years I've noticed an increasing number of merchants who
skip the signature check for small purchases; on a couple of occasions
recently I've even had my card returned to me BEFORE I'd signed the sales
voucher (exactly like the normal US practice). Each time I've been tempted
to use an "alternative" signature just to see what the response was, but lost
my nerve at the last moment. It'd be interesting to find out who's liable
for a debt incurred by Mickey Mouse on my account...

Paul (who lurks no more).

--
pak@chaser.co.uk(Paul Kathro)   Chase Research PLC, Chase House, Cedarwood,
voice     : +44 256 52260       Chineham Business Park, Basingstoke,

Thread