1994-07-23 - Re: “Key Escrow” — the very idea

Header Data

From: Berzerk <berzerk@xmission.xmission.com>
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Message Hash: fee2884d776b49751cb82a3dbf3b006f8502520de50c047025ed0b0cdc385ee5
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407231616.A13229-0100000@xmission>
Reply To: <9407221816.AA24181@tis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-23 23:04:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 16:04:29 PDT

Raw message

From: Berzerk <berzerk@xmission.xmission.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 16:04:29 PDT
To: Carl Ellison <cme@tis.com>
Subject: Re: "Key Escrow" --- the very idea

On Fri, 22 Jul 1994, Carl Ellison wrote:
> 1.	I'm not a fan of key registration
Good, but DONT make comprimises that screw the other guy.

> 2.	If it were forced down my throat, I want to make sure that
> 	the escrow agents can form a list of people being tapped so that
Ok, so what you are saying is you don't want your phone taped just
because your coworker is under investigation.  This is a reasonable
objcetive, but...

> 	they can detect abuses and possibly notify those tapped that
> 	they've been compromised.  They can't do that without either an
Wait a second, they would notify those that have been victimized?  Are
you serious?  Do you have one case in the history of the united states
where they have done this?  I think it is better to keep it out of their
hands totally, and it would be beter to identify the person doing the
taping, not the person being taped.

> 	ID of the equipment owner or some communciations/routing path
> 	which can map from equipment ID to my addr/phone/e-mail (to
> 	notify me).
Ok, so you would, if you had to register your key, also demand that all
communication devices be registered also?  I don't like this idea, I have
a right to communicate and I don't need the governments permision to use
the phone.  I think you are selling away everything with this proposal.

> 	In other words, I want to see this hypothetical escrow agent
> 	(or one of the many) as someone protecting my rights against the
> 	interests of a tapping agency.
I fail to see how you identifying yourself every time you have to use a
pay-phone could possibly lead to a protection of your rights.

Berzerk.

Thread