1994-08-31 - Re: OFFSHORE DIGITAL BANKS

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 003591e3442b962977c43de4cb7e6b8287aaaa36f560bbb646c9a2c44352ea33
Message ID: <199408312231.SAA23437@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Aug 94 15:51:13 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 94 15:51:13 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: OFFSHORE DIGITAL BANKS

Responding to msg by tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) on Tue,
30 Aug 12:12 PM

>The link with crypto is an important one: with the loss
>of the  U.S.S.R. as a superpower, the world is
>"unipolar" in terms of real  superpower force. The U.S.
>can throw its weight around, encouraging  compliance
>with U.S. polices in most areas. Everything from
>abortion  policy to banking secrecy laws to key
>escrow.
>
>(I'm not saying the U.S. threatens force against, say,
>Luxembourg or  Italy, just that the pressures to go
>along with the U.S. New World  Order are strong.

Tim, would you expand the link to crypto of unipolar
superpower?

Maybe some of the non-US c'punks can add more.

Here's my >$.02:

Some folks in other countries of more afraid of the USG and
national security capitalism (protection of "national
interest") than some of us are.  They view it as normal that
the Government will advance and protect interests of its
economy, including, if necessary, by military force.

Those who have lived abroad know that fear of our foreign
policy is greater than the US public may want to believe.  Our
domestic-oriented politics clouds understanding of the effects
of what is perceived to be aggression against the sovereignty
of other nations' culture.

Other countries' drive for nuclear weapons, or alliances with
those who have nuclear capabilities, is based what they think
is a "real politik" necessity to the loss of being able to
balance the Soviets against the US.

China, as the most obvious example, is working this
fear-of-the-west hard to gain support in Asia and the Middle
East for its nuclear program.  Smaller countries have shown in
their UN votes that they might welcome increased Chinese power
to offset the Soviet loss, even as they hold out hands to the
US.

It will be difficult to convince these skeptics that US
business can compete in the world without military backing.

John

Thread