1994-08-01 - RE: Big Brother’s Escrow Systems

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Message Hash: 0b96fb60e436fbe7ca02192a90408b541533026d48d348196129284cd8fda561
Message ID: <9408010329.AA20402@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 31 Jul 94 20:28:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 94 20:28:58 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Subject: RE: Big Brother's Escrow Systems

From: Timothy C. May

If Microsoft or any other companies have already colluded with the
national security establishments of the U.S. or other countries to
limit strong crypto except where software key escrow is used, then
attacks on these companies are justified.

My turn:   oh, ppulllleeeeeze!   :>)
(this is a rather popular expression, lately).

This is why I don't think that scenario is possible:

Billg's favorite magazine is The Economist, he's inundated with
free-market ideology; he's been willing to put up with all kinds of
"guidance" from the world's regulatory agencies in order to bring the
tools of software to places like China, where they could certainly use
the industry for economic development and a few tools for
communication.   Not that he is the only one doing this, not that he
isn't profiting by it.  I myself would not be willing to tolerate the
kinds of controls that software & other companies have to suffer in
order to bring their products to these markets.  But I can grant that
it does the customers a benefit for these to have been made available
to them, even if I know that I myself am revolted to consider the
regulatory tests which must be passed in order to do this (something
akin to airport drug check examinations).  Maybe he's trying to save
the world, I don't know.

Would they have been on the list of those opposing Clipper and the
export of crypto?  I can't see where the company would contribute to
the opposition on the one hand and then turn around and collaborate to
put limits on strong crypto except as allowed by the government.  It's
a contradiction; I can't imagine that MS would go in that direction of
accepting such an unsavory idea.

It's absurd to think that MS would wish to offer its software and
services to people all over the world, making it easier for them to get
their work done and contribute to opportunities for developers therein
to make an income, thus "empowering" them - freeing them to some
extent, while on the other hand helping to put them under unwanted &
unmanageable surveillance, thus putting them back into another
miserable situation outside their control.

The culture here is so unlike that concept, so unreserved, that this is
why I find it difficult to accept that the interests of the
individual's desire for control over their privacy would be set up for
compromise - be made difficult to maintain  -  by secret agreements
between the company's leadership & the MotherShip.

I will belive it when I see it.   And I'll sign it:
	How could I have doubted;
	Timothy C. May was right all along.
	I should have known better.

Blanc
[Gratituous Disclaimer:   There isn't any way my employer could get me
to say this.]

Thread