1994-08-29 - Re: Announcing Bellcore’s Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

Header Data

From: brains@male.org
To: “L. Todd Masco” <cactus@bb.com>
Message Hash: 1306d45f9e9f45c3cf597ffe63e40fbf3d398932564f0601006a4f65ccc08290
Message ID: <Chameleon.4.01.1.940829165513.merriman@anybody.metronet.com.metronet.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 14:56:45 PDT

Raw message

From: brains@male.org
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 94 14:56:45 PDT
To: "L. Todd Masco" <cactus@bb.com>
Subject: Re: Announcing Bellcore's Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

>>   -  provide accountability by linking the author of a program
>>      to a real person whose identity is verified off-line
>
>This is unnecessary, and I would claim undesirable.  A unique anonymous
> ID is just as good as a "real" one -- since you're relying upon PGP
> anyway, the mapping from signature to a known identity is one-to-one.
>
>The only reason I can see to require this "real human" mapping is
> to try to prosecute people for bugs in their code or some contamination
> that seeps into their release.
>
>That's not an aspect of the world I want to live in.

Or to warn potential virus "authors" that *their* anonymity is no longer
assured - not a bad thing. Not enough to justify the rest of it, IMHO, but
certainly not Evil Incarnate (not to be flinging misinterpretations or
aspersions :-)

Dave Merriman
Finger merriman@metronet.com for PGP/RIPEM public keys and fingerprints.
Unencrypted Email may be ignored without notice to sender.  PGP preferred.
Remember: It is not enough to _obey_ Big Brother; you must also learn to
*love* Big Brother.

Thread