1994-08-03 - broadcast encryption

Header Data

From: pstemari@bismark.cbis.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1a87d37e7bf4808c76823091e280d82b4675d257bdccd13194960ca81ddce1c3
Message ID: <9408031734.AA18504@focis.sda.cbis.COM>
Reply To: <QQxbjp28987.199408031716@relay2.UU.NET>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-03 17:34:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 10:34:44 PDT

Raw message

From: pstemari@bismark.cbis.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 10:34:44 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: broadcast encryption

> The US is a signatory to the International Telecommunications Union
> (ITU) treaties that allocate various parts of the radio spectrum for
> different uses around the world. One of those treaties (or some part
> of one; I forget which) prohibits the use of encryption to "obscure
> meaning."

So how is it that the satellite companies are allowed to encrypt their
signals, while individuals are not?  Another example where
corporations have greater rights than individuals?

	--Paul

Thread