1994-08-24 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Message Hash: 1d189b705d30314134e0178cd9904b8ea1a12bf627d90e61a230cc336cd71df1
Message ID: <m0qd7Us-0004EcC@khijol.uucp>
Reply To: <199408232023.NAA26560@servo.qualcomm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-24 02:47:57 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 19:47:57 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 19:47:57 PDT
To: karn@qualcomm.com (Phil Karn)
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

> At the risk of pushing this even further from cryptography, I should
> say that tritium is used in the "boosting" of *fission* weapons. A
> mixture of tritium and deuterium is injected into the exploding
> fission core to increase the "alpha" (neutron multiplication "gain")
> of the system.  The D-T thermonuclear reactions themselves contribute
> relatively little energy, but the increase in fission efficiency can
> be dramatic.

Been reading our Tom Clancey, have we?  <grin>
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			Ed.Carp@linux.org, ecarp@netcom.com
Finger ecarp@netcom.com for PGP 2.5 public key		an88744@anon.penet.fi

Thread