1994-08-11 - Re: future existence of free remailers?

Header Data

From: jito@netcom.com (Joichi Ito)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 1d82fbaab5432bccac4127ded5cd9e3c13af2820c346f7f6ae53c0df71c12c16
Message ID: <9408110653.AA05872@portola.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 23:56:40 PDT

Raw message

From: jito@netcom.com (Joichi Ito)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 23:56:40 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: future existence of free remailers?

At  5:59 PM 8/10/94 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>Joichi-san writes:
>
>> Please excuse me if this has already been discussed... but... What about
>> the trend of busting the sysops of bbs'? The recent Fidonet bust in Italy
>> seems to support this trend. It sounds to me like any remailers remailing
>> illegal stuff may get caught in the dragnet.
>>
>> No?
>
>With nested encryption through the Labyrinth (first the Net, then the
>Web, now the Labyrinth?), only the last remailer who remails to a site
>that is under observation or is a sting site (common in Memphis) is
>vulnerable.
>
>And even that last remailer may be able to claim ignorance (and win in
>court) if he can show that what he mailed was unreadable to him, i.e.,
>encrypted to the recipient. (This is another reason I favor a goal of
>"everyone a remailer.")
>
>With canonical remailers, and no logging, earlier remailers should be
>safe.

Interesting. So if the carrier is ignorant, they're off the hook?

>By the way, welcome Joichi (your first post to the list, that I can
>recall).

Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking, but hadn't had the opportunity
to make any comments before, and it looks like this point wasn't much of a
point anyway. :-)

back to lurk mode.

 - Joi

--