1994-08-24 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: Brian Lane <blane@squeaky.free.org>
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Message Hash: 3454b77ab76af8477e997c1f3706c87a8f9eac6a4c03a692324de275e72cc6fa
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9408241750.A16719-0100000@squeaky.free.org>
Reply To: <m0qd7Us-0004EcC@khijol.uucp>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-24 22:36:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 15:36:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Lane <blane@squeaky.free.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 15:36:10 PDT
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

On Tue, 23 Aug 1994 khijol!erc@apple.com wrote:

> > At the risk of pushing this even further from cryptography, I should
> > say that tritium is used in the "boosting" of *fission* weapons. A
> > mixture of tritium and deuterium is injected into the exploding
> > fission core to increase the "alpha" (neutron multiplication "gain")
> > of the system.  The D-T thermonuclear reactions themselves contribute
> > relatively little energy, but the increase in fission efficiency can
> > be dramatic.
>
> Been reading our Tom Clancey, have we?  <grin>

  I would recommend 'The Secret that Exploded' by Howard Morland

  Describes H-Bombs in a language that we can all understand.

  Brian

 Linux - the choice of a GNU generation       |  finger blane@free.org
 "A little rebellion now and then is a good   |  for PGP key
  thing" - Thomas Jefferson                   |