1994-08-03 - Re: broadcast encryption

Header Data

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
To: “Matthew D. Finlayson” <psmarie@cbis.com
Message Hash: 4ba3290734eb03f681539d1cf33175db2593f274d5d4d703a371d8a71ec85066
Message ID: <aa6591e1040210239a02@[129.219.97.131]>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 11:31:08 PDT

Raw message

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 11:31:08 PDT
To: "Matthew D. Finlayson" <psmarie@cbis.com
Subject: Re: broadcast encryption

At 11:06 AM 8/3/94, Matthew D. Finlayson wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Aug 1994, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
>>>The US is a signatory to the International Telecommunications Union
>>>(ITU) treaties that allocate various parts of the radio spectrum for
>>>different uses around the world. One of those treaties (or some part
>>>of one; I forget which) prohibits the use of encryption to "obscure
>>>meaning."
>>
>>So how is it that the satellite companies are allowed to encrypt their
>>signals, while individuals are not?  Another example where
>>corporations have greater rights than individuals?
>>
>>      --Paul
>
>Who are these satellite companies?
>
>I work for a major international record carrier and I have no encryption on
>any of the earth stations in my inventory.
>
>       --Matt

You mean that pay-per-view satellite TV is *not* encrypted?

b&

--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): We won! Clipper is dead!

Thread