1994-08-22 - Snore while they snoop

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 51b8a098ae6376e3cd0fe98fc6be5664abd0618767b92aca30e9306419aca048
Message ID: <199408221606.MAA16775@pipe1.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 09:07:07 PDT

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 09:07:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Snore while they snoop

Responding to msg by solman@MIT.EDU (Jason W Solinsky) on Mon,
22 Aug  1:42 AM

Tim says:

>> nothing that I've
>> seen mitigates the 1984 aspects of Cox's ideas.

You say:

>I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the aspects  of which
>you speak. Has he proposed some sort of nightmarish
>enforcement  system?

NY Times wrote yesterday on "metering" of software usage by
soft and hard means.  This type of monitoring could easily,
Clipperly, "1984"-ishly, record and report on other activities
of the user.

Recall alarms here recently about covert features of operating
systems.  Harmless looking hard devices may hide even more
monitoring features, steganographically (my bag).

John

Thread