1994-08-21 - Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6303e8e380f9cacc257d25facaae78537e0049c3b4ae21324378e6c77b186366
Message ID: <199408210219.WAA15554@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 19:22:59 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 94 19:22:59 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

At  4:24 PM 8/19/94 -0700, Eric Hughes wrote:

>The withdrawal transaction posts a debit to a customers demand deposit
>account (decreasing it) and a credit to the suspension account
>(increasing it).

NewJargonNotice("suspension account")

Is this new nomenclature? It sounds less risque than "float", I must say...

>Where digital cash is immediately useful is online as a retail level
>wire transfer system.
          [snip]
>the cost of networking is
>dropping and the cost of computation is dropping.  I personally don't
>expect that off-line digital cash techniques will ever actually be
>economically most efficient.  Existing alternates (e.g. credit cards)
>work well enough today, and by the time PDA's work well enough and are
>cheap enough to be universal, the cost of an online verification will
>be down in the fractions of a cent.

Immediate and final clearing must save money, somehow, but right now, it's
hard to prove whether cash is still king in cyberspace. I have a (somewhat
religious, in the sense that it may not be empirically proved in my
lifetime) belief that that's the case.  That's why I like to agitate for a
test. Yes, Tim, I know, you guys aren't bankers...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread