1994-08-27 - Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 6968c72010dd4949012996ecd2f5884c8182924b3d07c2a0b21af093bda7a8bc
Message ID: <9408272345.AA08631@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9408271816.AA26464@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-27 23:49:07 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 16:49:07 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 94 16:49:07 PDT
To: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Eric Hughes says:
>    >If there were already a fully identified digital money system,
>
>    Is there one?
>
> I don't think there is any digital money system at all, neither
> anonymous nor fuly identified.
>
> There certainly are digital funds transfer systems, almost all fully
> identified.  These are not digital money systems, although they may be
> precursors.

The U.S. banking system is largely a "digital money system" in the
sense that the bulk of the money in the system is represented in book
entry form in computer systems and has no other existance.

Perry

Thread