1994-08-03 - Re: encryption and Ham Radio

Header Data

From: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk (Jim Dixon)
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu
Message Hash: 6e7cb37dfb8edc3210b0bd2c0e472a47d9398124e740f82d282aa47ec6650390
Message ID: <3546@aiki.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 12:37:36 PDT

Raw message

From: jdd@aiki.demon.co.uk (Jim Dixon)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 12:37:36 PDT
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu
Subject: Re: encryption and Ham Radio

In message <199408031613.MAA14343@cs.oberlin.edu> Jonathan Rochkind writes:

> A while ago I thought about getting a Ham Radio license for doing TCP/IP over the airwaves. I never got around to learning the details, but I know that it is
> possible, and that many Hams in big cities have detailed digital nets running
> over the airwaves, using TCP/IP, or other protocols. There are even some
> gateways onto the internet.

For those interested in wireless Internet communications, this
might be of interest:

In message <Pine.3.07.9407180637.B7378-d100000@tech>
				  James Horton <horton@cftnet.com> writes:

< The next gereration of RF devices will make wireless, point to
< point links, of 5-20 miles, very inexpensive. Small businesses
< and individuals can build their own AS and negotiate with
< national operators to get inter-connectivity! Options are increasing
< daily, I just hope the RF chipsets can be purchased in the USA
< and WE will not have to go overseas!
<
< CFTnet, the ISP of which I'm part of, is currently prototyping
< an inexpensive board that combines, modems, ethernet, a unix OS,
< ISDN ports, T1 or 56K ports, and network security features, into a
< single system. I'm certain other designers are being creative
< concurrently.
<
< The  marketing strategy with this board is to offer, FLAT RATE
< access, in every city in America. The board operates on 48VDC,
< for telco co-location, or 115vac. Hopefully, the board will be in
< production in 3-5 months. It seems that several of the
< 'behind the technology innovation curve' telcos are interested in
< jumping into the flat rate party. < Names withheld >
<
< Communication systems will continue to get less expensive, as
< technology progresses and RF spectrum gets re-allocated to
< non-licensed uses. Append to this argument: the 'HDSL, High Data-rate
< Subscriber Line chipsets that convert ordinary POTS into T1 lines and dark
< fiber companies and you get an enormous increase in bandwidth, at reduced
< prices.

[much stuff snipped]

< Packet filtering may just  give the internet hacker/cracker
< community a new target. I've heard that now the Ci--- routers have
< been comprimised and that 'source routing and virtual interfaces'
< are the latest tool of the DARK side of the NET?
< * Creative Friendly Technologies		  813 980 1317	    *
< * James Horton, CFTnet Operations		  horton@cftnet.com *

It is interesting that if in fact the FCC does forbid encryption
of wireless Internet traffic, it opens the way for hacking on a
massive scale.
--
Jim Dixon

Thread