1994-08-04 - Re: USPS digital signature annoucement

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: mech@eff.org (Stanton McCandlish)
Message Hash: 7ce3fc5cc5bbee3496a74a8f8e1b84479f4fbba2e9a8abc64b0ce7acada6753d
Message ID: <199408042146.OAA21677@netcom8.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199408041740.NAA19691@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-04 21:46:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 14:46:54 PDT

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 14:46:54 PDT
To: mech@eff.org (Stanton McCandlish)
Subject: Re: USPS digital signature annoucement

> MY NAME IS RICHARD ROTHWELL.  I AM SENIOR DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY
> INTEGRATION FOR THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE.
>
> ... (much excellent and very true commentary deleted)
>
> THIRD, WE ARE UNIQUELY SITUATED TO PROTECT CORE VALUES
> SUCH AS SECURITY AND INDIVIDUAL PRIVACY AS WELL AS UNIVERSAL
> ACCESS TO THE TOOLS OF ELECTRONIC COMMERCE.

Translation:  We never got into bed with the NSA, because
steaming letters open was too much like hard work, so
give us a job please.

A most excellent argument.

Thread