1994-08-08 - RE: CreditCard info

Header Data

From: Garth Brown (Semaphore Software) <v-garthb@microsoft.com>
To: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 840b7399ef13b51219cc0495bd41b249a3262b646fcaed2ee46f7d1c26c2c06f
Message ID: <9408080045.AA26869@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Aug 94 17:43:54 PDT

Raw message

From: Garth Brown (Semaphore Software) <v-garthb@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 94 17:43:54 PDT
To: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: CreditCard info

----------
| From: Brian Lane  <blane@squeaky.free.org>
|   It's unbelieveable (to me anyway) that people would give this kind of
| information out and trust that it can't be abused. It's bad enough that
| we're asked to hand out our SS number for everything.

It's my understanding that it's technically illegal for anyone to require
your SSN for anything if they are not using it for SS related purposes.
I had heard that congress passed a law when SSNs were issued to this
effect.

Am I hallucinating, or has someone else heard this too?!

garthB>
-------
 Garth S. Brown, Semaphore Corporation    122 South Jackson Street,
Suite 350
 garthb@semaphore.com                     Seattle, Washington 98104

                                          InterNIC WHOIS: GB(31)

 -Public key available via finger of garthb@semaphore.com

 -PGP2.6 Key fingerprint =  65 0E 48 A1 F7 38 DB 03  3F 77 77 9E B5 53
2E 96
-------
  All problems can be solved with the proper application of high
explosives.

Thread