1994-08-15 - Re: Seeking Clipper/Telephone Cost Estimates

Header Data

From: joshua geller <joshua@cae.retix.com>
To: matsb@sos.sll.se
Message Hash: a5c166b09b00fc4920747987e1ef98af58f9d9c2be42f77b7590d2f6839caa74
Message ID: <199408151358.GAA01815@sleepy.retix.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.85.9408151107.A24213-0100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-15 13:58:10 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 06:58:10 PDT

Raw message

From: joshua geller <joshua@cae.retix.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 94 06:58:10 PDT
To: matsb@sos.sll.se
Subject: Re: Seeking Clipper/Telephone Cost Estimates

>    Robin Hanson wrote:

>   > What do folks think of the following analogy?  We don't object to
>   > police being able to pay willing informants, but we would certainly

>   I strongly object to police using my tax money to pay stool-pigeons.
>   The possible benefits of this system are heavily outweighed by the
>   drawbacks (police fraud, false accusations, benefits for despicable
>   criminals).

>   (Even more revolting is the system of police enticing people to
>   commit crimes - stinges- and then prosecuting them. This seems to
>   be such an everyday occurence in the US but I have seen very little
>   opposition to it on the net. Can it be that growing up with such a
>   system makes it seem fair? Many USAns don't even seem to know that
>   such police tactics are forbidden in many European countries - and
>   crimes commited after such enticements certainly not prosecutable.)

it was forbidden in the US between the late 60's and the early 80's.

what is even more threatening than this is DARE and similar programs
that encourage people to nark on their friends and family.

josh

Thread