1994-08-24 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: aa2661119691177c3f0430e0ee4b3b83e0950fa9ab9a9104dcc34dc918849b98
Message ID: <m0qdIqB-0004EcC@khijol.uucp>
Reply To: <9408241310.AA03276@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-24 16:45:47 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 09:45:47 PDT

Raw message

From: khijol!erc@apple.com (Ed Carp [Sysadmin])
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 09:45:47 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

> In a fusion, or H Bomb, the tritium (which is just hydrogen with an
> extra two neutrons) is that which produces the boom -- the main fuel,
> as it were. Its a "neutron source" only in the weakest possible sense
> -- the same way dynamite might be considered to need nitroglycerine as
> a "neutron source". (I'm not sure that people outside of the bomb
> building industry really know *for sure* what the geometries used in
> the atomic weapon that sets off the fusion reaction.)

I don't understand your point.  The earliest devices used a pie shape
with a wedge cut out.  The actual geometry is rather unimportant to
getting a fission reaction - but it *is* important if you want to
maximize your yield.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			Ed.Carp@linux.org, ecarp@netcom.com
Finger ecarp@netcom.com for PGP 2.5 public key		an88744@anon.penet.fi