1994-08-22 - Notary signing

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ad0c0d920ad31a8b5582fc8a130fde072cd4a6d2bfd9cc92ddcf27de259182e0
Message ID: <m0qcb6G-000I8RC@crynwr.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 09:02:40 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 09:02:40 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Notary signing

Does anyone know of any legal problems with a party asserting that
they have a notarized photocopy of certain id, representing that a
third party is who they say they are?  If I take someone's money, get
a notarized copy of their id, and sign their PGP key, can I be sued?
Obviously, I don't trust any non-lawyers to answer this question, but
does anyone know of an encryption-aware lawyer to whom I could pay
money for an opinion?

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/nelson.html
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | ask4 PGP key
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | What is thee doing about it?
Potsdam, NY 13676 | LPF member - ask me about the harm software patents do.

Thread