1994-08-31 - Fun with local TCP/IP & FTP

Header Data

From: sw@tiac.net (Steve Witham)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b3be8689436160b92d07ea8f94462ab0d49b21e3be53167c36b214d0b760fda4
Message ID: <199408310638.CAA14177@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 23:39:20 PDT

Raw message

From: sw@tiac.net (Steve Witham)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 23:39:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Fun with local TCP/IP & FTP

I just tried firing up the FTP server in NCSA Telnet, and then accessing it
via Fetch (an FTP client), all on my home Mac.  Various error messages when
I quit one or the other app, but IT WORKS when MacTCP is set to LocalTalk,
or set to PPP *and* I'm dialed into my "provider."  However, doing it with
PPP running, no packets seem to go across the modem.

Yo babes lookit me truckin' now.

I'm told MacTCP doesn't use the standard Berkeley sockets calls.
Is this true?  Is there a library to translate?

 --Steve

It is said a Shao Lin priest can walk through walls.
Looked for, he cannot be seen.
Listened for, he cannot be heard.
Touched, he cannot be felt.

Thread