1994-08-02 - Keystone Kops suck up Internet traffic

Header Data

From: M.Gream@uts.EDU.AU (Matthew Gream)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks List)
Message Hash: bce2deaa7947012c60dd9ef850aceca8f188fdcdc3cb588f5b64736fad4b9290
Message ID: <9408020442.AA27475@acacia.itd.uts.EDU.AU>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 21:40:07 PDT

Raw message

From: M.Gream@uts.EDU.AU (Matthew Gream)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 94 21:40:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks List)
Subject: Keystone Kops suck up Internet traffic

*laugh*

The following was forwarded to me from aarnet-contacts@aarnet.edu.au, a
mailing list for organisations connected to AARNet (Australian Academic
and Research Network) -- the local Internet -- which provides our
gateway to the world. fyi: The AFP (Australian Federal Police)
currently have a machine on the network, and have for some time, it has
no DNS records but its registered domain is in the NIC.

[..]
Recently, Geoff Huston wrote:

> It would appear that through a problem in routing configurations (and a
> basic issue with routing capability on the site) there is a backdoor
> between the State Computing Systems of Tas, SA and NT. This backdoor is
> via a network operated by the Australian Federal Police, This backdoor
> however is configured with packet filters which although it allows
> routing, it traps and kill all consequent transit traffic. So what we
> are now talking about is a black hole which uses a sufficiently low
> metric that transit traffic will not use AARNet even though AARNet
> connectivity is available.
[..]

Matthew.

--
Matthew Gream <M.Gream@uts.edu.au> -- Consent Technologies, (02) 821-2043
Disclaimer: I'm only a student at UTS, and don't represent them.

Thread