1994-08-23 - Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Header Data

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: bfb8db3b8e858b335326e5c0fcaaf56379bc4581983d3f4b9e2e6818f37f0c1a
Message ID: <9408231827.AA15029@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <199408231658.LAA11167@chaos.bsu.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-08-23 18:33:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 11:33:13 PDT

Raw message

From: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 94 11:33:13 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Nuclear Weapons Material

Timothy C. May writes:
 > When we needed sources of alpha particles, we cracked open smoke
 > detectors and took out the Americium sources.

How much alpha do you really need (he asked, wondering when somebody
will get irate and insist this thread be terminated)?  I have some
mineral specimens at home that are fairly hot (uraninite,
cuprousklodowskite, and something else similar) with (this
non-physicist thinks) mostly alpha emissions.  Such things can be had
at your next gem & mineral show, if you're lucky.

[ No, my wife won't let me keep them in the house.  Some people! ]

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Thread